New Room, Technology Glitches, and Reader's Theatre

Friday, April 26, 2013

What a week!  The weather in southern Alberta has been gorgeous.  We've waited a long time for spring to arrive, but with the warm weather also comes squirmy kids and a hot classroom.  We did get a break on Wednesday when we relocated to the cooler basement to allow the painters to come in and do their thing.  The new paint colour makes the room bright and airy.  I won't be missing the Smurf blue that's for sure :)  I might go in on the weekend and put up a few posters ... maybe.

I love technology ... when it works!  I lost two Social Studies classes this week because we had computer glitches.  A couple months ago our school eliminated the computer lab and replaced it with laptops on a trolley.  So, if you want to use the computers, you just sign out the trolley, roll it down to your room, and away you go.  This worked really well for the first two months and then this week we had issues.  The students couldn't get onto the internet and that made my New France Webquest a huge disaster.  After two days of rescheduling, I was done with the idea of doing a webquest.  We went over the answers as a class and filled in the missing information.  The school days are running out and we're on a schedule.  We gotta move on!

This leads me to my last thing - Britain's Influence on Canada in the 1600 and 1700s!  Aren't you excited?  Probably not and I totally understand if you aren't.  Chances are the kids aren't either.  Well, that's what I figured when I planned my next section in Social Studies 5.  I decided to start with a Reader's Theatre script.  There are 5 speaking parts: Narrator, France, Britain, Acadians, and Cornwallis.  I tied a little art activity in and posted it on TpT.


You can check it out here:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Britains-Influence-on-Canada-1600-1700s-Readers-Theatre-Activity

I wasn't planning to put it on TpT, but when I was searching Canadian History, I noticed there wasn't a lot there.  Maybe this will help someone out.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Top Priority Teaching



No comments:

Post a Comment